This program is for kayakers who realize there is much about paddling on the west coast they need to learn. It's also for those that have paddled on the Pacific, only to realize they lacked important knowledge.
This indoor program covers the theory necessary to safely travel on the ocean in your kayak for multiple days, or for just a few hours. Topics include:
- Navigation - how to read and use navigation charts, interpret the myriad of symbols, use a compass, and navigate on the ocean using piloting and dead reckoning,
- Tides and Currents - how to determine when and where the tide and tidal currents will impact your journey so you can plan around them,
- Marine Weather - how to forecast the weather at sea, both by observation & with help from weather radio services,
- Gear - how to select, waterproof and pack the appropriate camping gear, clothing and paddling gear for your own trips, and
- Trip Planning – menu planning, preparation & packing, route choice, risk awareness & judgment, group awareness, and communication.
You will possess the confidence and knowledge to paddle on west coast waters appropriate to your paddling skills.
We also bundle this theory program with a 5-day trip in the beautiful Gulf Islands where you will practice these skills under the supportive guidance of our instructor/guides. You can view the "Be Your Own Guide" course here.
Our instructor/guides are certified as both Paddle Canada Level 2 instructors and SKGABC sea kayak guides!
This clinic is designed for adults - all participants must be at least 16 year old.
None. But, kayaking experience will help you appreciate the skills and knowledge taught during this program.
Dates, Times & Locations:
The course consists of two workshops. Dates are May 27 and June 3 (Saturdays 1:00-5:00 pm) at Undercurrents (Google map).
Registration & Refunds
Full payment is due at registration to secure your spot in the course.
On the rare occasion when Undercurrents cancels a lesson, we will issue a full refund or make every reasonable effort to register you in an equivalent program; it is your choice.
If you cancel for any reason more than 7 days (14 days for multi-day courses) prior to the course commencement, you will receive a full refund less our $10 administrative fee.
There is no refund if you cancel for any reason within 7 days (14 days for multi-day courses) of the course.
Courses go rain or shine. Here in Alberta we can have rain, snow, blistering heat or high winds - sometimes on the same day. Don't believe weather forecasts; dress for varying weather conditions. If you need help, our store staff can give you great advice!
See our policies page for more details.